Tuesday, May 24, 2011

His Peace He Gives Me

Jesus said to his disciples: ‘Peace I bequeath to you, my own peace I give you, a peace the world cannot give, this is my gift to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid.'
Jn.14:27

Jesus is speaking to His disciples at the Last Supper, His passion and death are imminent. Knowing what is about to happen, there is every reason for Jesus' own heart to be troubled and afraid.  Yet His concern is for His disciples, what they are going to face after He has left them. Jesus offers them, and us, the very opposite to what they will experience; peace in the place of fear.

This quote from Jesus is said at every Mass at the Sign of Peace, just before Eucharist. I remember as a non-believer hearing those words and thinking, "I need that peace". It was the very first thing about Jesus that attracted me, the very first thing He offered me that I wanted; a peace that I had already found the world could not give.

Jesus never promised I would be free from troubles.  I live in a fallen world.  By definition that means troubles will come.  But Jesus does promise to never leave me, that His gift of peace, despite what is happening, is always there for me. What a gift for me to carry into my day today!

Lord Jesus, You are the Prince of Peace.  I embrace Your gift of peace you offer me today, that my heart will not be troubled or afraid.  Jesus, I place my trust in You, my peace.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: