Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Mercy Received to be Given

Saint Matthew, apostle and evangelist - Feast

‘It is not the healthy who need the doctor, but the sick. Go and learn the meaning of the words: What I want is mercy, not sacrifice. And indeed I did not come to call the virtuous, but sinners.’
Mt.9:13

Jesus has just called Matthew and is dining in his house with other tax collectors and people of ill-repute.  The Pharisees are offended by Jesus' association with such people and tell His disciples so. Jesus hears and rebukes the Pharisees for their empty "sacrifice" while judging those in need of mercy.

This event establishes Jesus' attitude to the broken, the sick and the sinful.  Mercy is all He has for them... for us ...for me.  This is the Good News I take into my day.  Yes, I am a sinful man, but Jesus does not condemn me. Mercy is the hallmark of Jesus and so is the hallmark of me.  Today I am a man who dispenses mercy.  Why?  Because I have received it.

Lord Jesus. Thank you that you came for the sick... came for me.  Help me dispense mercy to others who need it from me today.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: