Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Beggar's Friend

They were unable to pay, so he pardoned them both. Which of them will love him more?’ ‘The one who was pardoned more, I suppose’ answered Simon. Jesus said, ‘You are right.’
Lk.7:42,43

In today's Gospel Jesus has encountered two responses to himself; the polite, distant indifference of Simon the Pharisee and the impassioned, intimate embrace of the "woman of bad name".   Simon was a man of some standing and proudly wore the title Pharisee.  The woman had nothing but her her stinking reputation.  And yet the woman is the one who had an authentic encounter with Jesus.

I think this is what Jesus was referring to in His Beatitudes when He said, 
"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven".  It is the ones who have nothing to pretend, who have no pride left to try and hide their sinfulness, the beggars who have the deepest, life-changing encounters with Jesus.

What false pride in me is keeping me distant from Jesus.  Today I stand naked before Him.  He knows all, sees all... and yet still He loves me.  What can I do but weep in gratitude and love in return.

Lord Jesus. Your passionate love for me is my Gospel today.  You truly are the beggar's friend.  What can I do but bask in Your love and weep.
Little Flower, please pray for me.


No comments: