Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Give up My Rights

It is bad enough for you to have lawsuits at all against one another: oughtn’t you to let yourselves be wronged, and let yourselves be cheated? But you are doing the wronging and the cheating, and to your own brothers.
1Cor.6:7,8

Saint Paul is chastising the Corinthian Church for not only taking its law suits to unbelieving judges, but for also having lawsuits against each other at all.  It seems that not only will the world know we are Christians by our love, they will know we are are not by our squabbles.

This is a common problem in the church since its earliest days, as attested by Saint Paul's letter.  It is a problem for me.  What is the antidote?  Giving up my rights.  Why? Because Christ gave up His and I purport to be a follower of Him. This is authentic religion; less of me, more of the other.  And the result?  Animosity replaced by love.

Lord Jesus, You know how vigorously I defend my rights.  Forgive me Lord and help me to give up my rights that I may be an authentic witness for You.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: