Wednesday, September 8, 2010

God is With Us

Now all this took place to fulfill the words spoken by the Lord through the prophet: "The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son and they will call him Emmanuel," a name which means ‘God-is-with-us.’
Mt.1:23

Today we join the Church in celebrating the birth of Mary, the Mother of God.  Today's Gospel from Saint Matthew records the genealogy of Jesus.  There is something comforting in reading the list of Jesus' family which includes saints, sinners and nobodies.  I am reminded that our God is fully human as well as fully divine.  From this mishmash background our Savior was born from Mary, full of grace, and raised by Joseph, a man of honor.  The real miracle is the Holiness of Mary and Joseph.
Again, I say I draw much comfort from this truth preserved in scripture and celebrated by Holy Mother Church.  My genealogy would read much like Jesus', full of saints, sinners and nobodies. Yet I am still called to sainthood and my background really is of no help or hindrance.  My story is my story and how I live it is entirely my choice.  Today I choose to live the life of a saint, knowing that Emmanuel walks with me.

Hail Mary, full of grace.  The Lord is with thee.  Blessed are thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.  Amen.

Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: