Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Not I, Lord, surely?

SCRIPTURE
And while they were eating he said ‘I tell you solemnly, one of you is about to betray me’ They were greatly distressed and started asking him in turn, ‘Not I, Lord, surely?’
Matthew 26:21,22


OBSERVATION
It is the evening of Passover and Jesus is celebrating this Jewish feast with His twelve disciples; He with a clear picture of what is about to happen, the disciples with confusion.  Jesus reveals what is about to happen (betrayal by one of His closest friends), which is denied by all.  The two main players in this denial are Peter and Judas. Within twenty-four hours both would face the shame of their denial.  Judas is overwhelmed with hopelessness and kills himself.  Peter, with many bitter tears, stays with his fellow disciples, eventually meets the resurrected Jesus and becomes the rock that Jesus predicted. 


OBSERVATION
The disciple's denial echoes on today within me "Not I, Lord, surely?"  I say this to myself while knowing full well that my sins contributed to nailing my Lord to the cross.  Perhaps today is a good day for me to be honest with Jesus about this.


PRAYER
Jesus my Lord, my friend.  I am so sorry that I have sinned against you.  With your help Lord, I will try not to sin again.  Let your mercy triumph over judgment.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: