Saturday, March 15, 2008

A Joseph

Saturday 15th March 2008 - Feast Day of Saint Joseph.

SCRIPTURE
Her husband Joseph; being a man of honour and wanting to spare her publicity, decided to divorce her informally.
Mt.1:19

OBSERVATION
Today the Church focuses on Saint Joseph the foster father of Jesus. The first words describing Joseph call him "a man of honour".

APPLICATION
A couple of years ago I watched the movie The Nativity. The character that stood head and shoulders above the others for me was Joseph. My two unmarried adult daughters were similarly impressed, so much so that they now say that is the type of man they would marry. His character displayed not only honour but courage, protectiveness, love , patience, kindness, faithfulness - in fact all the fruits of the spirit. My daughters say they are looking for a Joseph, not a "Holy Joe". Isn't that an interesting distinction? Am I a Joseph, or just a Holy Joe?

PRAYER
Holy Spirit, empower me to be a man of courage, compassion, faith and honour.
Saint Joseph, pray for me.





No comments: