Saturday, March 1, 2008

He Lifts the Lowly

Saturday 1st March 2008

SCRIPTURE
For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the man who humbles himself will be exalted.
Lk.18:14

OBSERVATION
Jesus is telling a parable to people who had pride in their perceived virtue. In the parable, the prayer of the proud Pharisee is worthless while the humble cry for mercy from the Tax Collector sets him right with God.

APPLICATION
Yesterday, I received an email of thanks from a person who heard me give a talk a few weeks ago. As I was reading the email for the third time I caught myself savoring the accolades in an unhealthy way, in a prideful way. Pride was rising up within me to steal God's glory. It's a constant battle, especially when exercising leadership. The antidote to my my pride? The servant King, who humbled himself unto death, only to be raised up and seated at the Father's right hand.

PRAYER
God, be merciful to me a sinner.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: