Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Listen

They said to him, ‘Allow us to sit one at your right hand and the other at your left in your glory.’ ‘You do not know what you are asking’ Jesus said to them. 
Mk.10:37-38

Jesus has just explicitly outlined what is about to happen to him. It's the third time he's predicted his death. But, what is it the apostles want to talk about? Who gets the glory.

Selective listeners are described as people who are really good at listening... to what they want to hear. James and John's question to Jesus shows just how much they hadn't heard him. 

I'm guilty of selective listening, of listening only to what I want to hear. I could be missing out on what is really important. The antidote is to be present to the speaker, to actively listen regardless of what I think about their topic. Children are great ones on which to practice this.

Jesus, you are totally present to each individual. Give me that gift so I can fully engage with those you send my way today.
Saints James and John, please pray for me.


No comments: