Monday, January 15, 2024

New Wine Fresh Skin

No! New wine, fresh skins!
Mk.2:22

Jesus defends his disciples from the accusation of lack of fasting. He is something new that requires something new. A relationship with him is more important than religious observance.

When I invite unchurched people to an Alpha Course, a common obstacle is their repugnance of religion. I explain to them they're not being invited into a religion, they're being invited into a relationship. 

I love our Catholic liturgy, but it only makes sense to a person who has a relationship with the one to whom it all points. I had to experience the love of Jesus before religion was rightly seen as a way to get closer to him. First, my heart had to be softened. Kerygma then catechesis.

Thank you Jesus for always being something new. May I always be a fresh wineskin. 

No comments: