Monday, January 8, 2024

A Beloved Son

It was at this time that Jesus came from Nazareth in Galilee and was baptised in the Jordan by John.
Mk.1:9

Jesus' public ministry starts with his baptism and the declaration from God the Father as to who he is.“You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”

A father's blessing is powerful. When my son turned twelve I wanted to give him a public blessing, a bar mitzvah of sorts. In front of extended family and friends I stood behind him and gave a "This is my beloved son..." speech. Initially he was embarrassed by the attention of course but I noted his head lifted and shoulders pulled back. He understood what was being said. 

I never received this from my father. He didn't know how to. This lack of a father's blessing stunted my growth into manhood. I didn't know I was a beloved and pleasing son until I became Christian. It is one of the greatest gifts I've ever received. 

Saint John the Baptist, please pray for me.



No comments: