Monday, January 22, 2024

Bless not Blaspheme

Let anyone blaspheme against the Holy Spirit and he will never have forgiveness: he is guilty of an eternal sin.
Mk.3:29

Scribes have accused Jesus of doing the work of the devil by casting out demons. Jesus warns them that to ascribe the work of the Holy Spirit to Satan is an unforgivable sin.

It is surprising and sobering to learn there is an unforgivable sin. Yet, here we have it directly from Jesus. I need to be very careful before calling someone evil. Their actions may be different, unsettling, annoying, even hurtful yet still be the work of the Holy Spirit. 

That grit in my teeth, that pebble in my shoe, that rock on which I stubbed my toe could be Jesus at work. Jesus came to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Holy Spirit, help me recognise you at work so I may bless and not blaspheme.


No comments: