Saturday, January 9, 2021

Right Place, Right Time, Right Thing

He must grow greater, I must grow smaller.
Jn.3:30
John the Baptist's disciples have reported that Jesus is drawing greater crowds. John rejoices in this news as one rejoices for a bride when he hears the bridegroom's voice.

It's interesting that John says he must grow smaller. At first this appears as an oxymoron. Aren't growth and smaller opposites? Not according to John. His humility in recognising who Jesus is made Jesus say he was the greatest born by a woman. There is a greatness in humility.

He greater and me smaller. This also suggests seasons. There's a time for everything, the trick is to recognise the season. I'm looking at impending retirement from work. In one area I will become lesser to make room to become greater in other areas.

Jesus, help me be so focused on you that I am always in the right place at the right time doing the right thing.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.

 

No comments: