Saturday, January 16, 2021

A Sinner with Hope

It is not the healthy who need the doctor, but the sick. I did not come to call the virtuous, but sinners.
Mk.2:17
Matthew has just responded to Jesus' invitation to follow and holds a party to celebrate. While Jesus is the guest of honour there are many guests not so honorable yet are rejoicing in his company. The Scribes of the Pharisees, men who are meant to be honorable, are not so pleased. The ones who knew Jesus was for them, the tax collectors and sinners, were the ones who celebrated.

This is the core of the Good News. Jesus declares he came specifically for the sick sinner. He came for me. When I feel defeated by sin I grab hold of this truth. Jesus is a God of mercy and he wants me well again. In fact he can make me well again!

I enter this day, yes a sinner but a sinner with hope.

Thank you Jesus that you came to call me. Lord, I hear your call and joyfully respond as Matthew did. 
Saint Matthew, please pray for me.

 

No comments: