Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Miracle Man

Those who had eaten the loaves numbered five thousand men.
Mk.6:44
Jesus has just fed the five thousand from five loaves and two fish. To underscore the miracle, it is recorded that twelve baskets of scraps were collected afterwards.

I try and picture myself in this scene, maybe as one of the disciples knowing right from the start that a miracle was taking place before my eyes. I'm handing out the bread and fish but keep looking back at Jesus. He is sitting there, a smile on his face, more interested and pleased that the people are being fed than in the actual miracle. 

Miracles can bewitch. The crowds started chasing Jesus for more bread, more tricks, after this event and Jesus rebuked them. The miracle is a blessing for those who receive it and we rejoice in that. More importantly, it points back to Jesus, giving authority to who he is.

I have people on my daily prayer list that need miracles to happen in their lives. Every day, today, is a day I can pray for miracles to happen, for Jesus' glory.

Thank you Jesus that you take joy in blessing us through miracles. Jesus, I place my trust in you.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.

No comments: