Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Flex the Forgiveness Muscle

‘Yes, if you forgive others their failings, your heavenly Father will forgive you yours; but if you do not forgive others, your Father will not forgive your failings either.’
Mt.6:15
Jesus has just given the Lord's Prayer as an example of how to pray. He emphasises the prayer's plea for for forgiveness, tying it forever with the command to forgive.

This not a commonly preached truth. We all want to hear that forgiveness is just there for the asking, on tap. Not according to Jesus. Jesus tells us here that forgiveness from God the Father is not automatic, that the degree by which I am forgiven is linked to the degree by which I forgive.

I've never had a huge wrong against me to forgive. I haven't had a child murdered or suffered a great injustice. But there are "petty injustices" every day that I have a choice on how I am to respond. From the guy who cuts me off when I'm cycling to work to the unconscious but offensive blasphemies I hear in my workplace.

Today I choose to flex my "forgiveness muscle" and forgive those offenses I encounter today.

Lord Jesus, you have forgiven me so much. I am in "forgiveness debt" to you. Give me a forgiving heart so I may be set free from resentment and be forgiven my many sins.
Little Flower, please pray for me.


No comments: