Friday, March 20, 2020

Love God then do as you please

‘Well spoken, Master; what you have said is true: that he is one and there is no other. To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and strength, and to love your neighbour as yourself, this is far more important than any holocaust or sacrifice.’
Mk.12:32,33

A teacher of the law asks Jesus a genuine question. "Which of the laws is the greatest?" Jesus gives him a straight answer. "Love God and love others".

This commandment of Jesus remains core to Christian living. It has been distilled even further to "Love God then do as you please" by Saint Augustine. The key is loving God. Like most of humanity I'm a fickle lover, swinging from hot to cold to in between. It would pay for me to remember that lukewarm is worse than cold and something Jesus spits from his mouth.

Today I choose to love God. Loving others will be a test of how well I'm doing.

Thank you Jesus for your faithful love for me. Help me love you by loving those you place in my path today.
Mother Theresa, please pray for me.


No comments: