Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Hearing God

‘I am the handmaid of the Lord,’ said Mary ‘let what you have said be done to me.’ And the angel left her.
Lk.1:38

The angel Gabriel has just announced God's plan to Mary, for her to be the Mother of the Son of God. Mary gives her fiat, her yes, and instantly God is made flesh.

It struck me while reading this passage how this event affirms that life begins at conception. Jesus became one with mankind the moment Mary said yes. He wasn't a zygote or a "product of conception". He was God made flesh at that very moment. 

A lot can happen from a yes, especially when that yes is to an offer from God. Mary heard clearly what the angel was saying. There was no, "Could you run that past me again please?" She got it. I don't always hear God that clearly. This morning prayer time is the one time I'm quiet enough to listen. I must guard this time jealously.

Thank you Jesus for your faithfulness in being with me each morning I pray. Speak Lord, your servant is listening...
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for me.


No comments: