Monday, January 13, 2020

Repent and Believe

Jesus went into Galilee. There he proclaimed the Good News from God. ‘The time has come’ he said ‘and the kingdom of God is close at hand. Repent, and believe the Good News.’Mk.1:14,15
Jesus has just been baptised and spent forty days fighting Satan in the desert. He is starting his public ministry alone, proclaiming a simple message. "The kingdom of God is close at hand. Repent, and believe the Good News."

Repent and believe. This has been a constant Christian message for two thousand years. Yes, God loves me, yes I am offered mercy but in the end the response must be mine. Jesus doesn't force it.  It's a response that causes a change of heart from the inside out and when it happens the change is permanent. That was my experience.

Repenting and believing seems hard. Handing over control is counter cultural. For me it was made easier by a loving community surrounding me and encouraging me. This is the key. People aren't born into the Church or forced into the Church. They are loved into the Church, loved either by family or by community. This tangible, human love is the first glimmer of the love of God. It excites the soul to the possibility that my greatest desire can be fulfilled, that the truth really is that I am infinitely lovable and infinitely loved.

What a great way to enter into my day.

Thank you Jesus for your great and transforming love for me. Help me be an encourager to all who are yet to repent and believe, who do not yet know your love.
Little Flower, please pray for me.



No comments: