Thursday, January 30, 2020

The Law of Generosity

‘Take notice of what you are hearing. The amount you measure out is the amount you will be given – and more besides; for the man who has will be given more; from the man who has not, even what he has will be taken away.’Mk.4:24,25
Jesus is teaching the crowds by the Sea of Galilee. Here he speaks of the law of generosity. What we receive is governed by what we give.

My mother-in-law was a generous woman. Her funeral was packed with people who had been blessed in some way by her. She was not a wealthy woman but she always contributed to the food basket. She faithfully gave to missions, fostered children, gave to the poor. But more than this, she was generous with her time and generous with her attention. She listened to people. "Wasting" time with grandchildren and great grandchildren was a favourite occupation. Yet she was constantly heard saying she felt so blessed, that she received so much

I need to be more generous, in every way. For what I give determines what I receive.

Jesus, you were generous in your giving. Help me subdue my tightfisted nature. Give me a generous nature that I may better reflect you.
Margaret, pray for me.

No comments: