Saturday, January 18, 2020

Ban the Judge

When Jesus was at dinner in his house, a number of tax collectors and sinners were also sitting at the table with Jesus and his disciples; for there were many of them among his followers.
Mk.2:15

Jesus calls Matthew the tax collector to follow him. Matthew responds by throwing a party for Jesus and all types of people attend, including the down and out.

There was something magnetic about Jesus that even those who were living corrupt lives felt welcome in his presence. They didn't feel judged. Jesus didn't compromise about sin but his love for the sinner drew them to him.

What's changed? The Church doesn't have the same appeal today. Rightly or wrongly, unchurched perceive that should they enter a church an almighty finger will be pointing at them and a thunderous voice will  roar, "What are you doing here, dirt bag!" We have lost our perfume of mercy.

Have I lost my perfume of mercy? There is a little lawyer in me that loves to pop up and start pointing fingers. Let's try a day with zero judgement and see what happens.

Jesus, I want to reflect your mercy and grace. Help me as I interact with people today to love them where they are and help them move to where they want to be.
Little Flower, please pray for me.


No comments: