Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Encourage to Strengthen

God never meant us to experience the Retribution, but to win salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for us so that, alive or dead, we should still live united to him. So give encouragement to each other, and keep strengthening one another, as you do already. 

1Thes.5:9-11

Paul is on his missionary journey with Silas and Timothy when he writes to the Church of the Thessalonians. It is a letter of encouragement, reminding them of what Jesus has won for them. Paul asks that they encourage one another with such thoughts as these.

Encouragement among believers. It's such a beautiful thing. We all need it and we all should be giving it. I occasionally write to our Catholic newspaper. I only write when I have something positive to say. I'm dismayed by the number of negative and carping letters the editor receives.

Paul tells me to encourage in order to strengthen. Today I am visiting a friend who is sick with cancer and in hospital. My task is simple. Encourage to strengthen.

Jesus, help me be an encourager today to strengthen the flickering flame, to steady the quavering legs.
Little Flower, please pray for me.


No comments: