Sunday, September 22, 2019

Win Friends

And so I tell you this: use money, tainted as it is, to win you friends, and thus make sure that when it fails you, they will welcome you into the tents of eternity.

Lk.16:9
Jesus has just told the parable of the dishonest steward. In the parable, the steward is lifted up as an example of astuteness. Jesus does the same, saying that even money wisely spent can help with entrance into heaven.

On first appearance this parable is puzzling. But what if the steward's reducing of debts is seen as acts of mercy. Even though it was self serving, his mercy would have won him friends when he needed them most. He knew he had been a poor steward and that his master's judgement was deserved.

I'm a sinner. By any definition I have been a poor steward of the blessings given me... wealth, health, life itself have all been squandered by me. Jesus is advising me to shorten my account of indebtedness by being generous in acts of mercy. Then, on judgement day when the book of my life is opened, I will have friends who will speak up for me to receive mercy.

Lord Jesus, help me be generous in dispensing mercy so I in turn may receive mercy.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: