Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Family

He was told, ‘Your mother and brothers are standing outside and want to see you.’ But he said in answer, ‘My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and put it into practice.’ 

Lk.8:20,21

Jesus' family come looking for him but the crowds are so thick they can't reach him. Jesus uses the situation to teach on what it means to be a member of his family, that is hear God's word and do it.

Even to be a friend of God is a lofty ambition. Here Jesus is showing how I can be even more, how I can be a member of his family, how I can be his brother.

So, how does this come about? First I must hear God's word. Sacred Scripture is an obvious place to start, not only directly from the Bible but from Daily Mass readings, even from Christian songs on the radio, most of which are based directly on God's word. Prayer is another place I can hear God's word. My morning prayer time has proven this time and again. God can even speak to me through others he places in my life. My wife is often his prophet without realising it.

The next step is the hard step, practicing God's word. I guess this means facing that I have a choice on how I act in any given situation. I then make a decision to act either God's way or my way. There's a challenge to take into my day...

Jesus, thank you for your word which is life to me. Help me practice what I hear from you.
Little Flower, please pray for me.


No comments: