Thursday, September 6, 2018

Healing in the Telling

When Simon Peter saw this he fell at the knees of Jesus saying, ‘Leave me, Lord; I am a sinful man.’ For he and all his companions were completely overcome by the catch they had made.
Lk.5:8,9

Jesus has just finished teaching from Peter's boat.  Peter reluctantly follows Jesus' instruction to put out his net again and is then overwhelmed at the size of his catch. Peter recognises there is something of God in Jesus and falls at his feet.

Nothing happens by accident with Jesus. Of all the boats pulled up on the lake's shore he chose Peter's. He knew all about Peter's sinfulness and yet still chose him for a companion.

On the other hand, for Peter everything is accidental. Fish, no fish. Nets, no nets. But one thing he does purposefully here. He falls on his knees before Jesus and confesses his sinfulness.

What a great place to start a relationship with Jesus. This is a starting point I can return to each time I go to confession. Tell Jesus what he already knows. The healing is in the telling.

Thank you Lord that despite knowing everything about me, you still desire intimacy with me. 
Little Flower, please pray for me.



No comments: