Saturday, January 15, 2011

He Came for the Sick

‘Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?’ When Jesus heard this he said to them, ‘It is not the healthy who need the doctor, but the sick. I did not come to call the virtuous, but sinners.’
Mk.2:17 


Jesus has just called Matthew and is eating at his house with other Tax Collectors and undesirables. The guests at Matthew's house appear to include Pharisee Scribes and so, unwittingly (and correctly), they included themselves when complaining that Jesus openly associated with sinners. It follows that Jesus came for those very Pharisees when He replied He came for sinners.

This is such Good News.  The lie of the Devil is that my sin irrevocably separates me from God.  Not according to Jesus.  Every time I sin I associate myself more firmly with the very people Jesus came for.  In an ironic sense, my sin actually draws me closer to Him.  Does this mean I should let sin prevail?  "By no means!" Rms.6:15  says Saint Paul.  For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. Rms. 6:19.  So, in my sin I turn to Jesus who is very close to me and draws me away from its power and into His love and life.  Alleluia!

Lord Jesus.  Thank you that you came to call the sick like me.  I place my trust in You.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: