Friday, January 14, 2011

Authority

But to prove to you that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins,’ – he turned to the paralytic – ‘I order you: get up, pick up your stretcher, and go off home.’ And the man got up, picked up his stretcher at once and walked out in front of everyone,
Mk.2:10-12


Jesus has just proclaimed that the paralytic lowered by his friends on a stretcher before him has had his sins forgiven.  He knows the thoughts of the Pharisees who are offended by His actions.  Jesus then dramatically heals the paralytic to demonstrate His authority to forgive sins.  Proven authority makes things happen.

To Jesus, the greatest ailment the paralytic had was not his physical disability but his spiritual one.  This applies to me.  I look to be so healthy on the outside but where I limp, my true ailment, is on the inside in my emotions and in my spirit.  I need the healing power of Jesus.  Thank God for the Sacrament of Confession.  Jesus has the authority to forgive my sins.  Then, fullness of life is mine.  Alleluia!

Lord Jesus.  I acknowledge Your authority to forgive my sins.  You heal my paralysis of spirit and give me fullness of life and joy.  Thank you Lord!
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: