Wednesday, January 12, 2011

God made Flesh

because he has himself been through temptation he is able to help others who are tempted.
Heb.2:18


The writer of Hebrews emphasises that Jesus didn't take on the form of an angel but deliberately took on our flesh and blood.  Today's verses from Hebrews show how this resulted in two things:
1. Jesus dieing in the flesh and raising again shows He has conquered death and we no longer need fear it.
2. Being of the flesh, Jesus was tempted by all the things I am tempted by, so He knows how to help me in my temptations.

This is one of the qualities of Jesus that I love; He knows what it means to struggle with temptations.  This is why I can go to Him so readily in the sacrament of confession.  He puts His arm around my shoulders and says, "my dear brother, I know what you are going through."   And He does...

Jesus my brother, thank you for your compassion for me in my brokenness that comes from Your own experience of what I struggle with.  I trust in Your saving help to conquer sin in my life.  Jesus, I place my trust in You.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: