Thursday, April 29, 2010

Happy Humility

Fourth Week of Easter

SCRIPTURE
After he had washed the feet of his disciples, Jesus said to them:
‘I tell you most solemnly,
no servant is greater than his master,
no messenger is greater than the man who sent him.
‘Now that you know this, happiness will be yours if you behave accordingly.
Jn.1316,17

 OBSERVATION
Jesus has just washed the disciples feet a the Last Supper and starts his last discourse to them, teaching on true servant-hood. Jesus infers here that there is happiness that comes with humility.

APPLICATION
This is one of the many counter-cultural teachings of Jesus.  The world tells us it is better to be served than to serve.  Jesus' model of washing the disciple's feet teaches the opposite.  Happiness will be mine, says Jesus, if I serve others as though they are better than myself.

PRAYER
Lord Jesus you are the Servant King. Help me form a servant's heart after your own.
Little Flower, please pray for me.


No comments: