Sunday, April 25, 2010

Reach the Ends of the Earth

Fourth Week of Easter

SCRIPTURE
Then Paul and Barnabas spoke out boldly. ‘We had to proclaim the word of God to you first, but since you have rejected it, since you do not think yourselves worthy of eternal life, we must turn to the pagans. For this is what the Lord commanded us to do when he said:

I have made you a light for the nations,
so that my salvation may reach the ends of the earth.’
It made the pagans very happy to hear this and they thanked the Lord for his message;
Acts.13:46-48
OBSERVATION
Paul and Barnabas have reached Antioch and are preaching the Good News of Jesus so boldly that many are converted. Again this causes jealously among the Jewish leaders who plot against them.  Paul and Barnabas take this opposition from the Jews as a sign that they are to start preaching to gentiles and pagans, much to the joy of those people.
APPLICATION
There is a tendency in me to "preach to the converted", it's much safer.  But this was never God's intention.  His salvation is intended to reach the ends of the earth.  Who are the "gentiles and pagans" in my day to day living that I can present the Good News of Jesus to?
PRAYER
Holy Spirit, give me boldness to present the Gospel clearly to all who are destined to be saved.
Saints Paul and Barnabas, pray for me. 

No comments: