Friday, February 19, 2021

Don't Give Up Chocolate

Is not this the sort of fast that pleases me – it is the Lord who speaks – to break unjust fetters and undo the thongs of the yoke, to let the oppressed go free, and break every yoke, to share your bread with the hungry, and shelter the homeless poor, to clothe the man you see to be naked and not turn from your own kin? Then will your light shine like the dawn and your wound be quickly healed over.
Is. 58:6-8
God speaks through Isaiah, admonishing the people who are performing outward signs of fasting but with unrepentant hearts. The fast that pleases God involves action... breaking fetters, untying thongs, breaking yokes, sharing bread, sheltering poor, clothing the naked, welcoming family. 

 This Lent is not a time for me to stop doing but to do more, not refrain but to embrace. It's a time not to give up chocolate but to share the chocolate.

Lord Jesus, you were fasting in action. Help me not to give up chocolate this Lent but share the chocolate with those I meet today that my light may shine like the dawn.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: