Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely

Keep your eyes open; be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees and the yeast of Herod.
Mk.8:15
Jesus and the disciples are on the move, having just miraculously fed the four thousand. Using the analogy of bread, Jesus warns the disciples against the influence of Herod and the Pharisees.

The inference here is that there can be bad yeast just as there can be good. Jesus calls us to be good yeast, influencing the world for good. But in this verse he warns against the seductive influence of bad yeast, the yeast of religious power and political power. It only takes a small sprinkle of bad yeast and the whole loaf is corrupted. 

Power in any of its manifestations can corrupt and I am just a susceptible as anyone. 

Lord Jesus, you know that I can be seduced by the offer of power. Give me the opposite spirit, a spirit of humility that I may glorify you.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.

 

No comments: