Friday, December 6, 2019

When I'm weak I am Strong

The Lord is my light and my help; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; before whom shall I shrink?Ps.26:1

David writes how God is the source of his help and courage.

When I struggle with sin, especially recurring sin, areas where I am weak, I can be overwhelmed with the futility of the struggle. I see the devil winning and I become despondent, fearful. Then I read a psalm like this, written by a man who had his own spiritual battles, and I am encouraged.

Jesus seems more powerful in the lives of those who know they are imperfect, who know they need help. As Paul writes, "It is in my weakness that I am strong". 2Cor.12:10

My brokenness doesn't necessarily distance me from Jesus. When acknowledged it actually draws him near. Then he becomes the stronghold of my life, warts and all, and before whom then will I shrink.

Thank you Jesus for your steadfast love, even when I'm unlovely. Be my light, my stronghold today.
Saint Augustine, please pray for me.


No comments: