Saturday, December 28, 2019

The Escape Clause

I am writing this, my children, to stop you sinning; but if anyone should sin, we have our advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ, who is just; he is the sacrifice that takes our sins away, and not only ours, but the whole world’s.1Jn.2:1,2

John writes to the early Church to encourage believers to live in the light of truth. He also states all is not lost if we should fail because of Jesus acting as our advocate.

"But if anyone should sin...". This is a great escape clause. Who among us doesn't sin. As John writes, anyone who says he has no sin is deceiving himself. John sets a high standard. We are to live in the light. But, should we sin we can turn to Jesus for a remedy.

This describes the human condition, my condition.  There is a tension between how I want to live and how I do live. The only solution is Jesus. Then light and life, joy and peace are mine again, today.

Thank you Jesus for being my escape clause. You are the source of my joy and peace. Your blood purifies me today. Alleluia!

Little Flower, please pray for me.


No comments: