Friday, August 23, 2019

See Rightly

Jesus said, ‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the greatest and the first commandment. The second resembles it: You must love your neighbour as yourself.

Mt.22:37-39

The Pharisees are trying to disconcert Jesus with trick questions. Jesus simply uses their questions to teach. Here he responds to the question "What is the greatest commandment?" by giving the Golden Rule... Love God and love others.

Jesus distills all law and prophesy. Loving God and loving others embraces every facet of my day, no matter what happens or who I meet. Treating others how I would want to be treated is a universal maxim.

Loving God and loving others are one and the same. Why do I find this so hard to do? I guess because I forget that God is in every other living soul meet. The good, the bad and the downright ugly are made in God's image. It's just that God's image can be obscured.

Today I want to see people as God sees them, infinitely lovable.

Lord, loving others is sometimes hard. Remind me to call on your vision to see difficult people as you see them, people in need of love.
Little Flower, please pray for me.


No comments: