Thursday, August 8, 2019

Don't Worry be Happy

So do not worry about tomorrow: tomorrow will take care of itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. 
Mt.6:34

Jesus is giving his great sermon on the mount. He addresses anxiety, identifying it as something that focuses on material things, robbing us of peace, and so is something to avoid.

I've read in the lives of saints about them having scruples, that is concerns about their own piety and spiritual well being. My sources of worry are more earthly, being focussed more on the "what should I eat, what shall I wear" variety that Jesus condemns.

Jesus is specific here. Do not worry about anything in the future. Why? Because it robs me of the present. It is in the present where I meet him, not in the future, not in the past. It's times when I'm totally present that I encounter God.

Today I deliberately choose to let tomorrow take care of itself and embrace more fully this day the Lord has made.

Thank you Jesus for the blessing of today. I place my trust in you.
Saint Mary of the Cross, please pray for me.

No comments: