Saturday, August 10, 2019

Give and Laugh

Each one should give what he has decided in his own mind, not grudgingly or because he is made to, for God loves a cheerful giver. And there is no limit to the blessings which God can send you.
2Cor.9:7,8
Paul encourages the Corinthian Church to be a community of generosity, not only to give abundantly but also give cheerfully. God promises to not be outdone in generosity.

During our recent trip through Italy and France we encountered many beggars. Some were smoking fags and fiddling on their phones but others looked desperate. Outside one church I noticed one such beggar sitting on the steps with the inevitable paper cup. We were planning to attend Mass and I had cash in my pocket to put in the collection.

It turned out that Mass was cancelled and I commented to my wife that I might give some of my intended collection money to the beggar. She flippantly replied "Give all of it you cheapskate". I laughed at her challenge but did as she suggested. The beggars eyes stood out on stalks as his takings obviously grew beyond expectation.

If I were to describe the whole transaction with one word I'd say "cheerful". A cheerful challenge from my wife, cheerful giving from me and cheerful receiving from the beggar. It would be the most satisfying act of spontaneous charity I've ever done.  God loves a cheerful giver.

Thinking back over our eight weeks away, I observe we never had money worries. There always seemed to be enough to do what we wanted to do. We didn't not do anything for lack of finance. Yes we had a budget but we seemed to be blessed with an abundance, to the point where there was money left over when we returned home.

It's good for me to remember this time of blessing. When I stop clinging to things, especially to money, I receive a joyful blessing in return. The best way for me to stop clinging is to open my hand and give... and laugh while I'm doing it.

Thank you Jesus for the blessing of our European trip. Help me Lord to be a generous and cheerful giver. 
Little Flower, please pray for me.




No comments: