Friday, May 3, 2019

Good News!

I taught you what I had been taught myself, namely that Christ died for our sins, in accordance with the scriptures; that he was buried; and that he was raised to life on the third day.    1Cor.15:3,4

Paul is writing to the Church in Corinth reminding them of what he taught regarding the basis of their faith, what was the essential Good News of the message.

What is the "Good News" of the gospel? Here we have it. Christ died for our sins, was buried, then rose again on the third day. We say this every time we go to Mass. It is the mystery of faith acclamation said in the liturgy of the eucharist. Chris has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again. It is the Paschal mystery, the passion, death and resurrection of Jesus, central to our Catholic faith.

This is so familiar that its significance can be lost to me. This is good news indeed! Easter is a great time to recall this good news and celebrate the joy of it. This is the source of my Easter joy today, a joy that I can share.

Alleluia! Christ died for my sins, was buried and rose again on the third day. Alleluia!
Saints Philip and James, please pray for me.

No comments: