Wednesday, May 29, 2019

God is Close

Since the God who made the world and everything in it is himself Lord of heaven and earth, he does not make his home in shrines made by human hands. Nor is he dependent on anything that human hands can do for him.    Acts 17:24,25 

 Saint Paul is speaking to the Greeks of Athens, starting his preaching by acknowledging the Greek’s worship of “the Unknown God”. Paul expounds that this God they already worship is in fact the God of the Universe who made everything and is not found in idols but in all that he created.

 The past week has seen me in some very holy places, in front of staggeringly beautiful art, even in front of the bones of Saint Peter. Yet Saint Paul reminds me these are not the home of God, as beautiful and sacred as they are. He goes on to say, “he is not far from any one of us. For in him we live and move and have our being.”

 Today I am ascending Montecassino, another “thin place”, a place where the barrier between God and me is very thin. Yet, it is not the home of God. His home is in all his creation, including me.

 Lord Jesus, help me see you in the least as well as the great. Heaven and earth are filled with your glory. Little Flower, please pray for me.


No comments: