Saturday, December 29, 2018

Lover in the Light

Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the dark. But anyone who loves his brother is living in the light and need not be afraid of stumbling;
1Jn.2:9,10

John is writing specifically about hypocritical believers in the early Church, those who claim to be followers by their words but fail to be followers in their actions.

The greatest cause of atheism in the world today is Christians who acclaim Jesus with their lips and then walk out the door and deny him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable. (DC Talk, Jesus Freak).

Conversely, the greatest appeal of Christianity to an unbelieving world is demonstrable love. Saint John knew this. The great saints throughout the ages knew this. Do I know this?

What caught my attention to this scripture this morning was the word "stumbling". I claim to be stumbling but following. Stumbling is easy, it comes naturally. Following requires decision and effort, lest I remain in the dark. Today I choose to be a follower, an outrageous lover in the light...

Jesus, you showed what loving and living in the light means. Shine your light into my heart today that I may walk in the light.
Saint John, please pray for me.

No comments: