Friday, December 28, 2018

Hear and Act

The Holy Innocents, Martyrs 
 
So Joseph got up and, taking the child and his mother with him, left that night for Egypt, where he stayed until Herod was dead.
Mt.2:14,15

Joseph is told in a dream to flee to Egypt with Mary and Jesus to escape Herod's murderous wrath. He obeys and so Jesus is spared from the slaughter of every male child under two in Bethlehem.

Both Old and New Testament Josephs were dreamers, in the best sense of the word. They heard God in their dreams and acted on what they heard. From both their actions came salvation for those around them.

When do I hear God? Sometimes I remember dreams, but not often. I think the most common "God hearing" time for me is during morning scripture journaling such as now. Do I act on what I hear? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. The world is quick to try and smother any revelation from my morning prayers with the dust of daily battle.

Time to recommit, one to my morning prayer time and two, to acting on what I hear.

Jesus, thank you for not leaving me to drift through my life without direction. Holy Spirit make me attentive, sensitive to what I hear from God.
Saint Joan of Arc, pray for me that I may hear and act on God's word with courage, like you.



No comments: