Friday, April 27, 2012

Eat Drink

The Jews started arguing with one another: ‘How can this man give us his flesh to eat?’
Jn.6:52

Jesus is teaching in the synagogue at Capernaum and insists that eternal life comes by eating His flesh and drinking His blood.  To those who rejected this teaching it was a repugnant act of cannibalism.  To those who accepted what Jesus was saying, it was a mystery that carried the promise of all they yearned for; eternal life with God.

This is what sets the Catholic Church apart from all other religions, even within Christianity.  "How can this man give us His flesh to eat?" is still the question that rages.  It was the question that stopped me from entering the Church for at least five years.  I remember reaching the point where I simply said, "Jesus, You said it so I believe it", and I stepped out in faith.  Receiving His body and His blood is now the central act of my faith that feeds my spirit.

I need to go to Mass today...

Lord Jesus, thank you for Your insistence and Your patience; Your insistence on teaching the necessity of eating Your body and blood and Your patience in waiting for me to come eat, come drink.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: