Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Glimmer of Easter

And while they were eating, he said, "Amen, I say to you, one of you will betray me."
Deeply distressed at this, they began to say to him one after another, "Surely it is not I, Lord?"
Mt.26:21,22


Jesus is in the upper room sharing His last Passover meal with His twelve closest friends, knowing that one of them is about to betray Him.  This shocking revelation is denied by all twelve, yet within twenty-four hours all but John will deny Him for fear of their lives.

"Surely not I Lord?"   I can hear myself saying these same words, yet to my shame I have denied my Lord each time I have chosen to sin.  But the story does not stop there.  Each one of those twelve, barring Judas, went on to become great saints.  This gives me great hope.  The resurrected Jesus appeared to them and gave them the Holy Spirit to empower them into sainthood.  The glimmer of Easter can be seen just around the corner.

Lord Jesus, You know my denial and my betrayal, yet You love me all the same. Lord, You are my help, come help me through this day.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: