Monday, April 16, 2012

Born From Above

'Do not be surprised when I say: You must be born from above. The wind blows wherever it pleases;
you hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. That is how it is with all who are born of the Spirit.’
Jn.3:7,8


Jesus is talking to Nicodemus, who recognises Jesus is sent by God but still doesn't understand the fullness of what Jesus is saying about the Kingdom of God.  Jesus explains to Nicodemus what is required of him next; to be "born from above", that is, filled with the Holy Spirit.

As Jesus explains, there is a mysterious power in the Holy Spirit.  Like the wind, you can tell when He is there but where and how He works is a mystery.  The first reading today from the book of Acts tells how the house shook as the believers prayed and were filled with the Holy Spirit.  Mysterious indeed!

When did the house last shake when I prayed? Like Nicodemus, I need to be born from above, open to the mysterious power of the Holy Spirit.

Come Holy Spirit, fall afresh on me.
Fill me with Your power, satisfy my need.
Only You can make me whole,
give me strength and make me grow.
Come Holy Spirit, fall afresh on me.

No comments: