Sunday, November 13, 2011

Talent of Time

The man who had received the five talents came forward bringing five more. “Sir,” he said “you entrusted me with five talents; here are five more that I have made.”
‘His master said to him, “Well done, good and faithful servant; you have shown you can be faithful in small things, I will trust you with greater; come and join in your master’s happiness.”
Mt.25:20,21


Jesus is describing what the kingdom of heaven is like and tells the parable of the talents.  How we invest, or not invest, what has been given to us has an eternal consequence.

This is a topical reading for me.  Yesterday I was on a day retreat for discernment of a men's fellowship leadership team.  I led the praise and worship for the day.  I know this made me appear a leading contender for at least that role in the team, if not overall team leader. I felt the expectation.  However, as much as I support the objectives of the fellowship, I didn't feel called to put my name forward for discernment for the leadership team. 

Where I do feel called at the moment is into supporting and leading my family.  I have our first grandchild due in a week.  My wife is just launching a home-based business venture.  I have a son getting married in two months. I have a twelve year old daughter still at home.  The list goes on... 

These are all God-given roles that I have to fill at this time in my life.  The secret is to know the difference between good works and God's works.  My talent is my time.  How I spend my time has eternal consequences.  Today I invest my time into my family.

Father God.  You have given me so much in my family.  Help me be a good husband and father to the precious loved ones You have entrusted to me.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: