Friday, November 4, 2011

Invest in Friends

The master praised the dishonest steward for his astuteness. For the children of this world are more astute in dealing with their own kind than are the children of light.
Lk.16:8


The parable of the shrewd manager is one of a string of parables as told by Jesus and recorded by Saint Luke.  Jesus finishes the parable by saying we should use worldly wealth to to gain eternal rewards (Lk.16:9).

It's good for me to recognise that worldly wealth has an eternal perspective.  Firstly, anything I have has only been given to me by God for stewardship.  It is not my own.  Secondly, how I use that wealth has an eternal consequence.  Jesus says use it to gain friends (Lk.16:9).  The sort of friends Jesus refers to would be true friends, relationships built on trust and love, not friends like those of the prodigal son who left once the money ran out.  Do I invest my wealth in those sorts of friendships?  Perhaps not as much as I could...

Thank you Lord for everything that You have given me.  I have stewardship over so much.  Holy Spirit of God, help me be wise with what I have and invest in true and eternal friendships.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: