Thursday, November 17, 2011

Recognise Your Opportunity

As Jesus drew near Jerusalem and came in sight of the city he shed tears over it and said, ‘If you in your turn had only understood on this day the message of peace! But, alas, it is hidden from your eyes!
Lk.19:41,42


Jesus approaches the city where He knows He will soon die.  Yet, out of love for Jerusalem, He weeps over it.  There is something tragic and yet beautiful in this scene.  God wept over a city.  It says something of the mystery of Jesus who is both man and God.

I wonder if Jesus weeps over my city, over my people.  There are many good and lovely people in my home town just as there would have been in Jerusalem in Jesus' time. Yet, Jesus prophesied an impending violent death and destruction for those very people because they "did not recognise your opportunity when God offered it!" Lk.19:44.

Recognising my opportunity is something I need to focus on.  How?  Pressing into Jesus in prayer and in His Church has to be a good start.

Lord Jesus, wash me with Your tears of compassion.  Cleans me so I may be a witness to what You are offering.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: