Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Small and Narrow

He said to them, ‘Try your best to enter by the narrow door, because, I tell you, many will try to enter and will not succeed.
Lk.13:24

Jesus is warning that the period of grace we now live in will come to an end with some at "the feast in the kingdom of God", but many will not succeed in getting there.  This is also recorded in the Gospel of Matthew chapter 7:

13"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

The image Jesus places before me is of two destinations, one with a narrow and difficult entrance, the other being wide and easy to access.  The destination I should be striving for is the one that is difficult to attain. The message is that heaven is not going to simply drop into my lap by default. It will take effort and discipline to get there.

Thank God for His Word and His Church to help me in this journey.

Lord Jesus, you know how lazy I can be.  Drifting is my natural state.  Help my super-natural state become my norm so that I may find and pass through the narrow door into eternal life with You.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

Saint Catherine, please pray for me.
Saint Mary of the Cross, please pray for me.



No comments: