Tuesday, August 3, 2010

You are Mine and I am Yours

And you shall be my people and I will be your God.
Jer.30:22


Jeremiah is the prophet of the hard-word.  His unwelcome message gets him nothing but death threats yet he is compelled to continue proclaiming the words of doom the Lord gives him.  And yet in today's reading we see a sudden switch, almost in mid flight, from doom to love.  The final verse is the beautiful promise, "...you shall be my people and I shall be your God".


This reminds me of a time I was giving one of my children a severe reprimand. While I was in full angry-father flight my child started weeping.  It took the wind completely out of my sails and I ended up hugging her.  I couldn't help myself. I think in today's reading God is a bit like that.  Our tears of sorrow move Him from righteous anger to spontaneous love.  It's from His love that His beautiful promise comes, ...not matter what you do, no matter how far you turn away from me,  always remember you are mine and I am yours.  It's on this promise that I live my life today.

Father in Heaven, You know my waywardness. Thank you that no matter how far I stray our relationship is always there. You are mine and I am yours.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: