Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Loved to Serve

So with you: when you have done all you have been told to do, say, “We are merely servants: we have done no more than our duty.”
Lk.17:10

Jesus is teaching his disciples about duty, which for the Christian can be described in one word. Humility.

For me, humility is an unnatural disposition. How does the song go? "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way." We smile at these lyrics, but secretly, don't we admit a little bit of that describes us. I'm a pretty good chap. I've worked hard. Don't I deserve...?

Yet, there are wonderful promises given to those who are humble. Blessed are the meek, says Jesus. And of course, Jesus practices what he preaches. He is the Servant King.

I don't think humility comes from trying hard at it. For those truly humble people I have met, humility seems a natural characteristic, like the colour of their eyes. There's something deeper within them, something to do with having absolute confidence that they are loved. Now there's something I don't have to strive for, just knowing that I am loved by God no matter what. And, wonder of wonders, from that comes the desire to serve. 

Thank you Jesus for loving me. 

No comments: